Online Therapy Information
Online therapy is a way for you to engage in counselling using internet technology such as email, online chat, telephone or webcam video.
It allows you to select the method of communication you feel most comfortable with and it can also allow you to choose the time, the place and the pace of your counselling to suit your needs.
Every effort is made to provide a safe and secure environment for your online therapy with encryption software to protect your confidentiality and secure.
Within my practice I offer email and webcam video counselling.
This therapy is carried out over Zoom, which allows you to experience face to face counselling from a location of your choosing. I send you a link to my secure Zoom room at a previously arranged time for a 50 minute session.
If you are unfamiliar with using Zoom and can talk through this with you and help you feel comfortable with this setting.
Counselling using email, offers you the opportunity to consider what you wish to say before you send it as well as time between exchanges to reflect on the information you have received.
You will be guided in how to set up a secure email account and will then have a set amount of email contacts with your counsellor.
While Online counselling offers certain benefits there are also limitations that are worth bearing in mind when deciding which type of therapy will best suit your needs.
• Counselling from your own home at a time that suits you
• Secure encryption software offers confidentiality and peace of mind
• No chance that you may be seen entering the counsellor's practice
• When using email you are able to review what you are saying before sending
• Some find it easier to express their feelings by writing it down
• Flexibility to chose the technology you feel is best for you: telephone, email, live chat or webcam
Things to consider
• Are you comfortable using internet technology?
• Would you prefer to see your counsellor in-person?
• Is there a computer terminal that you can use privately without interruption?
• Do you feel you can express your feelings effectively using words?
• Do you feel your situation is too complex to discuss via the internet?
• Text communication can sometimes be open to misunderstanding
• In text communication there are no nonverbal cues or body language for you or the counsellor to read, this can lead to misunderstanding
Online counselling therapy take place within a secure, encrypted environment to offer you confidentiality and safety.
Email correspondence is encouraged through a secure mail server and you will be instructed on how to set up a confidential email account for your counselling therapy.
Webcam counselling take advantage of the encrypted services offered by Zoom.